I had a blog post all ready to go for today but it just didn’t feel right after all that’s occurred. Before posting something so light, I want to take a moment to reflect on yesterday’s tragic events. A Facebook friend of mine posted the following quote:
When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, “Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” To this day, especially in times of “disaster,” I remember my mother’s words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world.
I’m spending today with my loved ones. I don’t think I’ll ever fully be able to digest how someone could do something so horrible, but I need to take moment to try.
My prayers go out to all affected, and I hope the community of Newtown and our nation can once again come together and emerge stronger.
It’s so typical of life to throw you a curve ball that makes you stop and think about what’s truly important. On Sunday, one of my best friends was involved in a car accident that has left him in an induced coma with severe head trauma. He was first involved in a minor car accident and while pulled over on the side of the road, a jeep did not see them and plowed into him while he was standing outside his car.
The progress since Sunday has been positive. Although it will be a long journey for him and his family, I am positive that he will come through this stronger than ever. Through our more than 10 year friendship, he has picked me up when I was down and given me strength so many times over.
Please send prayers, positivity and strength to my friend and his family, and cherish those close to you. Life can certainly throw curveballs, but hope is stronger than despair.
Today I was finally able to laugh and smile sharing stories with his family at the hospital. Everyday we both get stronger.
My life has been consumed by studying lately, so I apologize for being MIA. I plan to rejoin society in about a week and a half. In the meantime, I thought I’d provide an update on our “love garden.”
Everything is really growing, and I’ve been enjoying adding fresh herbs to my meals. It also makes the backyard smell really fresh.
And just the other day, I noticed a first glimpse of what’s to come.
Grow, baby, grow. I can’t wait until we have full-grown tomatoes. Still no signs of broccoli life, but I’m sure that will be equally exciting. Clearly, my social life has also taken a slight hiatus.
Parko also really loves watching tomatoes grow.
I also wanted to share with you my Valentine’s Day gift for Kevin. We’re not huge into Valentine’s Day, but I always like to do a little something. I was inspired by Julie’s gift for her husband and decided to create something similar in Photoshop.
I thought it would appeal to Kevin’s analytical mind, and it’s not overly mushy (at least for me). The blue numbers from the top to the bottom are Kevin’s birthday, my birthday, our dating anniversary, and our future wedding date. There’s also an Easter egg in the form of Parko’s birthday hidden in there. I had it printed on canvas and thought it’d be something fun and cute to have in the house. I haven’t given a homemade gift in awhile, unless you count edible gifts!
When was the last time you gave a homemade gift?
This post is all about ME! Daph and Tracy tagged me in the 11 Things survey floating around.
- You must post these rules.
- Each person must post 11 things about themselves on their blog.
- Answer the questions the tagger set for you in their post and create 11 new questions for the people you tag to answer.
11 things about me
- I was born in Chicago, Illinois, moved to Ft. Wayne, Indiana, and now live in Orlando, Florida.
- I love the Florida Gators.
- My favorite animal is the polar bear.
- I have a nerd-status obsession with all things JJ Abrams-related and Lost-related. (We’re talking stalking message boards here…)
- My pinky on my right hand is really crooked due to a bicycle accident when I was little.
- My favorite band is Less Than Jake, and overall my music tastes haven’t evolved since 2004.
- My dream was to always get married at Disney…until I learned how much Disney weddings cost.
- Pinterest has taken over my life.
- I prefer red wine over any other alcoholic drink.
- I have the newest iPhone and an iPad, neither of which are utilized to anywhere near their full capabilities. Basically, I use them for Google and Bubble Shooter.
- My new year’s resolution of attempting to relax more is not going well at all.
- What is your favorite candy? It’s always changing…Carmelos or Butterfingers are usually favorites.
- Favorite holiday – 4th of July bc its warm or Thanksgiving bc of the spread? Thanksgiving all the way. I love reflecting on my blessings and eating!
- Coffee or tea? Coffee, coffee, coffee!
- Do you feel lost without your cell phone? Unfortunately, yes.
- Favorite city in the US? Chicago
- City/state you want to visit next? I would love to go to New York City and see the 9/11 memorial.
- What country would you like to travel to right now? Kevin has been really wanting to go to Patagonia, and I’m game.
- Are you excited for the Summer Olympics??!! Absolutely!
- What is your favorite breakfast? Corned beef hash and runny eggs and a biscuit.
- What language do you wish you spoke? I can speak a little Chinese, but I wish I knew more.
- What’s one tip that transformed your diet/fitness level? Make a plan and stick to it. And anything is better than nothing!
- Favorite meal of the day? Breakfast…or breakfast for dinner.
- Accomplishment you’re most proud of? Being able to get a job that I love right out of college and advancing my career since then.
- What about life fulfills you the most? I am blessed to be surrounded by wonderful people in my life.
- If someone had to describe you in one word what would it be? Hungry.
- In 5 years you’ll be….a wife, MBA recipient, in my 30s (blech), happy.
- Staple beauty item? Hair straightener.
- Favorite way to spend the weekend? Gator football game!
- Dream vacation? Patagonia with Kevin.
- If I were an animal I would be a cow because they have two stomachs.
- One of my long term goals is to be a successful businesswoman and to successfully juggle life.
- Who are your role models? My parents and Sheryl Sandberg.
My 11 questions:
- Favorite food or restaurant?
- Favorite childhood memory?
- Biggest pet peeve?
- Guilty pleasure?
- Why did you start blogging?
- If everyone was safe, what possession would you grab from your house if there was a fire?
- Favorite season?
- Celebrity crush?
- Idea of a perfect day?
- Favorite movie?
- What would you do with the money if you won the lottery?
Or pick a question and share!
We knew it wouldn’t be easy, but I don’t know if we thought it would be this difficult. I write to you tonight as a humble Gator after losing to Georgia for the first time since 2007, another game that was difficult to watch, especially since I was in Jacksonville.
(From Florida/Georgia 2006 at the Jacksonville Landing…a victory and happier times.)
It’s just a game. After having victory snatched from us, I decided to not let the loss on the field affect the rest of my evening and went for a victory in the kitchen instead.
I have never made an omelet. I never wanted to deal with trying to fold and flip eggs, so I would just scramble eggs with whatever ingredients. It’s easy and safe. But tonight I really wanted an omelet.
First, I sautéed some leftover spinach from my workweek salads.
After setting aside the spinach, I added two large beaten eggs to the pan and let them start to cook.
Tomorrow is grocery shopping day, so filling ingredients were scarce. I opted for the spinach and shredded cheddar cheese.
Time for the fold…
Georgia Bulldogs can’t take this away from me! The omelet hit the spot. Ooey gooey cheese really helps to lift moods.
Despite the loss, today was actually a really good day. There were some great sales going on at the mall (40% off everything at Banana Republic and Ann Taylor Loft), so I loaded up on some fall clothes. Tomorrow Kevin and I are headed to Epcot’s Food and Wine Festival. I’m excited to eat my way around the world.
Do you ever have to remind yourself “it’s just a game’”?