I have found that maintaining a consistent workout schedule, full-time job and social engagements can be extremely exhausting! Oh how I long to be a stay-at-home fur mom, but unfortunately that’s just a pipe dream.
The biggest thing working against my fitness routine is my job. I value the fact that I’m a hard-worker, and I’m lucky that I’ve found in Kevin someone with the same work ethic, so he doesn’t mind when I choose to work late, can’t talk during the workday and get out the door extremely early in the mornings.
I like to be one of the first ones in the office, so it’s hard for me to try to workout in the morning. I just like to be in the office too early.
So here are the things that I’ve figured out work for me:
- Go to the gym straight from work-I pack my gym bag the evening before with my workout clothes and shoes, a hair brush and ties, make-up remover wipes and anything else I might need. I keep it in my car during the day and change once I get to the gym. There has been more than one occasion where merely having the bag in my car sends me onto the gym when I’ve wanted to just lounge on the couch.
- Plan later weeknight social outings-If I’m going to grab dinner or anything with friends during the workweek, I schedule it for about 7:30 or later so I can get to the gym, back home to shower and then out the door. Sometimes I show up to dinner with my wet hair pulled back, but at least I’m clean and dressed. It’s later than a usual happy hour but not so late so I can still get to bed at a decent time.
- Eat and drink all day for success-I eat and drink in anticipation of working out at the end of the day. I limit my caffeine intake to just a small cup of coffee with no sugar first thing in the morning so I don’t get jolts and then crash and feel sluggish by the end of the day. I start off my breakfast with a good amount of protein and try to eat leaner, smaller snacks the rest of the workday so I don’t have too full of a belly but am also not famished when I leave for the gym. I also drink a lot of water all day long.
What do you do to fit in workouts in the midst of juggling work and life? Kevin has a gym at work, which I’m super jealous about. If anything, he can get in a quick workout at lunch.
Weekly workout summary
- Monday-Abs and StairMaster
- Tuesday-Free weights arms workout and treadmill run
- Wednesday-Stationary bike
- Thursday-Free weights arms workout and treadmill run
- Saturday-Treadmill run
I’m still working on building up speed and distance in my running, and I think it’s been going really well. Hopefully I can keep it up and don’t get bored being confined to the treadmill.